Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Financial Institutions
- Health Law
- Professional Indemnity
- Policy Drafting
phone +61 7 3225 5968
Anthony has over 20 years of experience in professional indemnity coverage advice, litigation and policy drafting across the finance, property, and construction sectors. His clients include many domestic and international insurers and the London market.
He has acted for most professionals including insurance brokers, accountants, financial planners, finance brokers, stock brokers, solicitors, engineers and architects, surveyors, building certifiers, valuers and real estate agents. In addition, Anthony advises extensively on the risks covered by management liability insurance policies, including directors and officers, fidelity and occupational health and safety prosecutions.
The Australian Legal Business Guide: Insurance Law found that ‘clients thought highly of Anthony Henley’ in the professional indemnity field. He is consistently ranked for Insurance in the peer-reviewed ‘Best Lawyers’ report published annually by the Australian Financial Review.
Anthony is a Committee Member of the National Insurance Lawyers Group of the Law Council of Australia, the peak body for lawyers in Australia.
Some of the matters Anthony has handled include:
- In 2016, successfully defended three complex claims against insureds at hearings in Queensland:
- Case that involved an allegedly negligent engineer (Christian Community Ministries Ltd v Intelara Pty Ltd)
- Another matter involving an engineer who escaped liability in reliance on a time based contractual limitation clause (Surfstone Pty Ltd v Morgan Consulting Engineers Pty Ltd)
- A claim against a builder dismissed for want of prosecution (Ferrari Estate Holdings Pty Ltd v Cooktown Earthmoving & Quarrying Pty Ltd & Anor).
- Acting for the successful party in a leading Queensland appellate decision on non-disclosure – Australian Casualty & Life v Hall
- Defeating a claim against an insurance broker arising from the theft of allegedly valuable artefacts – Anderson v Aon Risk Services Australia Limited
- Defending a Federal Court of Australia class action against real estate agents the subject of the High Court of Australian decision in Wong v Silkfield
- Advising the excess layer insurer of valuers involved in the $20 million Myer Centre litigation – Interchase Corp Limited v Colliers Jardine
- Successfully defended a law firm in wills and estate litigation – Holdway v Arcuri Lawyers (special leave to the High Court refused)
- Successfully defending a discrimination claim brought by a lesbian woman refused artificial insemination by a fertility clinic in JM v QFG & GK (special leave to the High Court refused).
October 26, 2015
Surfstone Pty Ltd & Anor v Morgan Consulting Engineers Pty Ltd  QSC 290 A contractual limitation of liability clause contained…Continue reading
September 1, 2016
Surfstone Pty Ltd & Anor v Morgan Consulting Engineers Pty Ltd  QCA 213 Background In proceedings filed in 2014, the…Continue reading
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Law Council of Australia