Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Professional Indemnity
- Class Action Securities Claims
- Coverage Advice & Disputes
- Public Liability
Partner LLB, BA (Hons), MPhil
phone +61 2 9234 4714
Baron has over 15 years’ experience acting for local and overseas insurers in a wide variety of claims. His particular specialities are professional indemnity and defamation. He also advises on insurance coverage issues.
His professional indemnity experience has involved acting for solicitors in claims arising from conveyancing transactions, the conduct of litigation, commercial transactions, personal injury, mortgages and guarantees, and defamation. He has also acted for architects, mortgage brokers, engineers, insurance brokers and financial planners.
Baron has acted for insurers in litigated disputes concerning cover available under D&O and liability policies.
He has defended defamation claims against radio stations and their announcers, clubs and their officers, local councils and their mayors and councillors, universities and their lecturers, and churches and their clergy.
He has acted in a number of claims for compensation under the Compensation to Relatives Act.
Baron has been involved in the following notable cases:
- Ritson v Gay & Lesbian Community Publishing Limited & Ors  NSWSC 483 – an important decision on when limitation periods for defamation actions will be extended
- Bofinger v Kingsway Group Limited  HCA 44 – a High Court decision on a guarantor’s subrogation rights
- Cheney v Duncan  NSWCA 197 – successfully resisted a claim against a solicitor on a limitation argument. This is a leading decision on when loss first accrues
- Watkins v De Varda  NSWCA 242 – a leading decision on when a solicitor can owe a duty of care to a non-client.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group