Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Financial Institutions
- General Insurance
- Professional Indemnity
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Class Actions
- Policy Drafting & Interpretation
- Sports Liability
- Construction & Engineering Risks
- Builders Warranty
Managing Partner Sydney LLB (Hons)
phone +61 2 9234 4506
Geoff is Managing Partner of Moray & Agnew’s Sydney office and also head of our 14 partner Sydney Liability Insurance practice and national Professional Indemnity practice group.
Geoff commenced his legal career at Moray & Agnew in 1982 when it was a Sydney-only insurance litigation firm. He was appointed a partner in 1988 after developing a practice covering professional indemnity and liability litigation and insurance advice (policy, compliance and litigation).
With more than 30 years’ experience, Geoff consistently achieves excellent results for his clients. He has been involved in many landmark cases including:
- General Jones Pty Limited v Burnie Port Authority – advising insurer of General Jones Pty Limited from the trial in the Supreme Court of Tasmania through to hearing in the High Court of Australia
- Walker Civil Engineering Pty Limited v Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Co Limited – successfully resisted the claim by the contractor
- Leighton Contractors v Fox – advising the insurers of the successful building contractor in the High Court of Australia.
Other notable cases include the successful defence of five officers of the Therapeutic Goods Administration in a $150 million class action in the Federal Court. This case arose from the largest therapeutic goods recall in Australia’s history, which also triggered the collapse of manufacturer, Pan Pharmaceuticals.
Geoff has regularly presented topical papers to the insurance industry at seminars organised by the Australian Insurance Institute and the Institute of Chartered Loss Adjusters.
He is commended by his clients as an ‘excellent negotiator’ with ‘extensive knowledge of the law’ and ‘unrivalled claims litigation experience’. His expertise as a leading Australian insurance and reinsurance lawyer is recognised by various independent global legal guides, including Chambers (from 2010 to the current time) and Legal 500 Asia Pacific (from 2012 to the current time). Chambers Asia Pacific has listed Geoff as one of Australia’s leading insurance lawyers for several years. In its 2017 edition, the publisher noted that ‘Head of Moray & Agnew’s national professional indemnity group Geoffrey Connellan is a respected litigator who has more than 30 years’ experience acting on a broad range of coverage issues and matters concerning litigation. He regularly acts for major Australian companies and government bodies on insurance-related issues.’ This legal guide has previously stated that clients describe Geoff ‘as a “public liability specialist” and a “good operator“. He is a highly respected litigator, particularly noted for the strong line of defence he provides to clients.’
In addition, Geoff has been ranked in the peer-reviewed ‘Best Lawyers’ reports published each year by the Australian Financial Review from 2012 to the current time.
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group