Public & Product Liability
Moray & Agnew’s dedicated public and product liability practice provides unparalleled experience and expertise in assisting insurers and insureds in claims for public and product liability.
We act for Australian and international insurers, underwriters, brokers, reinsurers, claims management agencies, government (federal, state and local) and large self-insured corporations Australia-wide.
We provide efficiency in handling, expertise in addressing and experience in finalising litigated and unlitigated claims.
We are keenly aware of the factors critical to insurers, including:
- Early and accurate setting of estimates
- Ongoing and inclusive consultation with insureds
- Determined efforts at early and sensible resolution
- Intelligent initiatives to contain claims costs
- Efficient and accountable use of legal resources
- Vigorously litigating the claims that need to be fought.
Our casework has helped shape the law in this area. While this demonstrates our ability to identify significant legal issues to test in superior courts, in the vast majority of matters our aim is to resolve claims swiftly on the best possible terms.
Our areas of particular expertise in public liability include claims involving:
- Building contractors
- Cleaning contractors
- Clubs and hotels
- Health care providers
- Householders and farmers
- Primary producers
- Private occupiers
- Public utilities
- Religious organisations
- Road construction contractors
- Schools and other educational institutions
- Shopping centre groups, owners and managers
- Sporting venues and associations
- Telecommunication providers.
Our product liability claims portfolio has seen us acting in a wide range of large, complex and high profile claims involving:
- Agricultural machinery
- Building products
- Electrical goods
- Manufacturers of machines, fuel tanks, security equipment
- Manufacturers of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts and accessories
- Medical equipment
- Sporting equipment.
Geoffrey Connellan is “a very flexible and skilled insurance lawyer.”
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012