Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Professional Indemnity
- Public & Product Liability
Special Counsel LLB, BA
phone +61 7 3225 5980
Angela is a specialist insurance lawyer and litigator with over 12 years’ experience in insurance law and commercial litigation. She has extensive experience in public liability and professional indemnity claims and regularly provides advice on policy coverage to insurers.
Angela has acted in the defence and resolution of claims against a broad range of professionals, incorporated associations, companies, schools and local governments in all types of professional indemnity and public liability claims and disciplinary complaints and proceedings. She has defended claims against solicitors, architects, engineers, financial planners, accountants, certifiers, real estate agents and the full gamut of allied health professionals.
Trained in alternative dispute resolution processes such as mediation, Angela regularly appears at mediations and other out of court dispute resolution processes and has extensive experience conducting negotiations in order to resolve claims wherever possible in the best interests of her clients prior to litigation.
Since 2002, Angela has been on the board of a not for profit provider of crisis accommodation for young people at risk of homelessness, and has also been a volunteer solicitor with the Women’s Legal Service.
- Conducted multiple high profile claims on behalf of a religious institution and a major insurer arising from the sexual abuse of students by a teacher. Angela successfully defended various EPL claims by the staff terminated following the discovery of the abuse, and also successfully defended a litigated defamation claim arising from media statements published following the discovery of the abuse
- Defended a law firm in a high value multi party claim arising from the allegedly negligent performance of the firm’s retainer in relation to a cross border banking transaction with complex liability and jurisdictional issues
- Defended an architect in a high value multi party claim arising from the allegedly negligent performance of the architect’s retainer in relation to the design of a luxury home in a north Queensland residential development
- Defended a structural engineer in a high value litigated claim arising from the design of a prestige unit development in northern Queensland
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group