Area of expertise
- Financial Institutions
- General Insurance
- Life & Disability Insurance
- Motor Vehicle Law
- Professional Indemnity
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Workers Compensation
Partner LLB (Hons); BCom
phone +61 3 8687 7384
Anthea is highly skilled insurance litigator with significant experience in advising and acting on all aspects of insurance law.
Anthea has a strong reputation amongst insurers in relation to fraud and indemnity disputes between insureds and insurers, including in life insurance matters.
Anthea is a strong negotiator and represents her clients at mediations and pre-hearing conferences. One of her main objectives is to achieve timely outcomes with a practical yet innovative approach to litigation.
With almost a decade of insurance litigation experience, Anthea has particular experience in:
- subrogated recovery and settlement claims arising from, amongst other things, motor vehicle and property damage claims
- product liability claims arising from the Australian Consumer Law and general negligence against suppliers an manufacturers
- home contents claims
- insurance claims that involve a range of issues including indemnity, parties’ obligations and rights under policies, non-disclosure, misrepresentation, duty of utmost good faith and fraud which encompass both application of the common law and the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth)
- major litigation
- total and permanent disablement, income protection and death claims
- complex coverage, contractual construction and policy interpretation issues
- Australian Financial Complaints Authority disputes (formerly the Financial Ombudsman Service).
April 1, 2019
The arrival of two new partners – Anthea Karvounaris and Michael Gill – at Moray & Agnew during March 2019 reinforces…Continue reading
- Australasian Life Underwriting and Claims Association Inc
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria