Area of expertise
- General Insurance
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Builders Warranty
- Industrial Special Risk
- Contractors All Risk
Partner LLB, BCom
phone +61 3 8687 7310
Brett has worked in insurance litigation since 1979. He was a founding partner of Connery & Partners in 1988.
Brett has acted on behalf of insurers in all jurisdictions in Victoria and also interstate. His expertise includes defence of public and product liability, fire and property, industrial special risks and contractors all risk insurance matters.
His clients comment on his pragmatic commercial approach to litigation, and that he is ‘equally talented in formulating and delivering a fierce legal strategy.’
- Acting for the insurer of Vic Rail in defence of a claim alleging sparks from the flue of a diesel engine which caused various fires along the train route
- Acting for the manufacturer of a confectionery agent supplier of honeycomb contaminated by metal fragments
- Acting for a builders’ warranty insurer in defence of numerous claims in the Domestic Building List at the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal
- Acting for the insurer of a manufacturer of allegedly defective asphalt supplied to a number of municipalities
- Acting for the insurers of builders / contractors in defence of property damage claims and recovery actions
- Acting for the insurer in a successful $2 million recovery claim involving the collapse of a factory roof
- Acting for a Netherlands insurer of worldwide supplier of polypropylene resins in the defence of a Supreme Court action by the manufacturer of membranes alleging the resin caused degradation of the membranes. The claim settled for a sum less than the plaintiff’s costs.
January 20, 2016
Ernst v McRoss & Anor  VCC 1754 (9 December 2015) Introduction The recent judgment in Ernst v McRoss & Anor…Continue reading
May 3, 2016
Griffin v VWA & Ors  VSC 101 (23 March 2016) Background The plaintiff, employed as a fitter/supervisor, allegedly injured his…Continue reading
- Australian Insurance Law Association