Area of expertise
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Workers Compensation
- Construction & Engineering Insurance
- Fraudulent Claims
- Commissions of Inquiry
- Catastrophic Claims
Partner LLB (Hons)
phone +61 2 9234 4622
Brian has extensive experience in insurance law, with a particular emphasis on common law, public and product liability claims, construction and engineering liability, recovery actions involving injuries ranging from minor to catastrophic and workers compensation. Brian acts for a number of Australia’s major insurers as well as being the preferred legal provider to a number of large insureds and public companies.
In 2001, Brian was appointed by the Law Society of NSW to its Injury Compensation Committee and is its longest serving member. In 2004 the NSW Workers Compensation Commission appointed Brian as the independent evaluator of arbitrators’ performance.
His experience includes:
- Representing the Law Society of NSW in a number of inquiries, including the Justice Clarke Workers Compensation Costs Inquiry and the NSW Legislative Council Inquiry into Tort Reform in NSW, as well as being part of the committees, including the NSW Medico-Legal Liaison Committee and the NSW sub-committee formed to review the Uniform Civil Procedure Act & Rules and to prepare relevant MCLE courses
- Advocate and lead representative for the Law Society of NSW in proceedings before the Australian Government Productivity Commission Inquiry into Disability Support Services and the establishment of the National Disability Insurance Scheme
- By invitation from the Registrar of the NSW Workers Compensation Commission assisting and advising upon the drafting of the Commission’s forms for use in all proceedings
- Advisor to successive NSW Government Ministers for Commerce, Finance and WorkCover in relation to injury compensation and workers compensation.
Civil Liability legislation: Increasingly uniform approach to the question of reasonable precautions
September 8, 2015
Patrick Stevedores Operations (No 2) Pty Ltd v Hennessy; FBIS International Protective Services (Aust) Pty Ltd v Hennessy  NSWCA 253…Continue reading
- Law Society of NSW Chairman of the Workers Compensation Subcommittee and Delegate to WorkCover NSW
- Law Society of NSW Injury Compensation Committee
- NSW Court of Appeal User Group Representative
- NSW Workers Compensation Commission User Group Foundation Member