Area of expertise
- Health Law
- Workers Compensation
- Section 138 Recoveries
- Work Health and Safety
Partner LLB, BA
phone +61 3 8687 7363
Bruce provides expert legal and commercial advice regarding the matrix of issues confronting self-insurers and employers, acting across a diverse range of industries. He also acts for insurers who provide employment practices liability cover and is experienced in Victorian and other State workers compensation schemes as well as Comcare.
Bruce has extensive practical experience having acted in-house for a large national self-insurer in respect to workers compensation and common law claims as well as employment and work health and safety matters.
His understanding of the interaction between the various obligations placed on employers enables him to advise all levels of management within a company in order that the corporate goals are achieved.
Bruce’s experience extends to advising on equal opportunity and discrimination where he advises employers, employees and independent contractors on their statutory rights and obligations. Bruce also advises on matters involving industrial accident, occupier’s liability and product liability.
Bruce has run a number of significant cases including:
- Rinker Group Limited v WorkCover Corporation of South Australia  SASC 300 where he was successful in the Full Court Appeal on the refusal to renew the registration of a group of exempt employers under the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act
- Giuseppe Villani v Holcim (Australia) Pty Ltd  FCA FC 155 where he successfully defended a Full Court Appeal by an employee arguing jurisdictional error by Fair Work Australia with costs awarded against the employee.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Risk Management Institution of Australasia
- Self Insurers Association of Victoria