Area of expertise
- General Insurance
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Builders Warranty
- Professional Indemnity
- Construction & Engineering Insurance
Special Counsel LLB, BA, Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation
phone +61 2 9234 4514
David is a Law Society of NSW Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation. For almost 30 years, he has provided advice and litigated insurance and commercial matters with large and complex litigation, including construction liability matters.
David is recognised for his ability to achieve commercial results for his clients and has extensive experience in mediation. He has achieved resolution of over 75% of his matters referred to mediation, a result which has provided considerable cost savings to his clients.
His experience includes:
- Acting for insured in Baiada Poultry Pty Limited v MMI General Insurance Limited, multimillion dollar claim by major poultry producer in respect of coverage under ISR policy for losses due to Avian influenza
- Acting for successful engineer in Rickard Constructions v Rickard Hails Moretti (2004), case involving failure of substantial container park pavement
- Acting in AXA Global Risks (UK) Limited v Haskins Contractors (2004), a case which examined what constitutes damage to property and when damage occurs for the purpose of a contract works policy
- Defending one of the parties in the leading insurance case of Fercom Pty Limited v Commercial Union Assurance of Aust Limited
- Representing the successful appellants in the NSW Court of Appeal matter of Waterways Authority & Anor v Matthews, which deals with the duty of care owed by an occupier involving an obvious risk
- Representing former executive directors of Stanilite Pacific Limited in defence of a multimillion dollar suit for insolvent trading, successfully resolved by mediation
- Defending project manager in proceedings arising from the redevelopment of the Harold Park Paceway, Sydney
- Pursuing recovery proceedings by a landlord against iconic restaurant tenant in respect of substantial damage arising from a kitchen fire
- Successfully defending a manufacturer of silicone in an action arising from the failure of a large number of fibreglass swimming pools.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Law Society of NSW