Area of expertise
- Builders Warranty
- Construction law
- Owners corporation law
- Construction and Infrastructure
Special Counsel JD, B.Eng (Mechanical), GDipLegalPrac
phone +61 3 8687 7304
Gerard specialises in residential construction and owners corporation law, drawing on his professional background as a qualified mechanical engineer as well as his in-depth understanding of the technical construction aspects of matters he conducts as part of his legal practice.
Gerard has litigated hundreds of matters throughout all jurisdictions in Australia and regularly manages matters involving:
- Defective building matters (residential and commercial)
- Drafting and negotiating construction contracts
- Owners corporation disputes and recovery matters.
A large portion of Gerard’s practice comprises litigating defective building claims, including:
- Defending insurers in builders warranty claim disputes
- Defending builders in defective building claims
- Prosecuting defective building claims for owners corporations
- Prosecuting subrogated claims against builders, developers, principal certifiers, building surveyors, engineers and architects
- Drafting substantive and in-depth advices to professional litigants (such as insurer clients) in respect of a range of complicated legal issues arising out of builders warranty insurance and defective building claims
- Presenting to and advising owners corporations on available avenues of recovery for the cost of defective building work.
- Law Institute of Victoria