Area of expertise
- Builders Warranty
- Professional Indemnity
- Industrial Risk
- Contract Drafting
- Litigation, Mediation & Arbitration
Partner LLB, BA
phone +61 3 8687 7354
James practices in both insurance and construction law. He represents Australia’s major insurers, large developers, building contractors, and other building professionals. James provides advice on building and construction matters and in all aspects of insurance claims within the building industry.
James regularly acts for professional indemnity insurers on behalf of building and construction professionals including architects, engineers, project managers, developer, sub-contractors, municipalities, quantity surveyors and private building surveyors. He provides advice on coverage, policy interpretation, liability, modelling of complex allocation issues and reserve recommendations.
James also manages one of the largest builders warranty practices in Australia. He acts for the majority of home warranty insurers across all jurisdiction in Australia. His advisory expertise includes drafting builders warranty policies and assisting insurers and their claims staff on risk assessment and management.
James’s experience extends to drafting submission to government bodies, including the Building Control Commission in Victoria, on the builders warranty scheme. His practice includes government agency.
A significant part of James’s practice includes front-end construction, as well as advice and dispute resolution in respect of the Building and Construction Security of Payment Act 2002 (Vic). His industry experience encompasses construction industry contracts, negotiated agreements and arbitration and litigation on building disputes in all Courts and Tribunals in VIC, NSW, ACT, TAS and QLD.
James has recently prepared contract documentation or prepared contractual claims in the following projects:
- Aquavista Tower Docklands Development
- University Hill Town Centre Complex (Bundoora) for MAB Corporation ($50 million)
- Barrett and Graduate Residential Development Tower (Hawthorn) ($36 million)
- Carousel Entertainment Complex ($7 million)
- Royal Domain Plaza, 360 St Kilda Road, Melbourne ($20 million)
- Restaurant fit out Duckboard Place ($4 million)
- 29 unit development Lord Street, Richmond ($7 million)
- Q2 Office Development, Melbourne ($20 million).
James is an accredited adjudicator under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 (Vic).
- Adjudicate Today – Adjudicator under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 (VIC)
- Building Dispute Practitioners Society
- Victorian Law Institute Young Lawyers Association