Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Indemnity
Partner LLB, BCom
phone +61 3 8687 7357
Jeremy is a highly skilled insurance law practitioner and has experience working in both in-house roles and private practice.
With over 20 years’ insurance law experience, Jeremy now acts for a wide range of insured professionals including architects, accountants, real estate agents, engineers, valuers, insurance brokers, and health professionals. Jeremy also acts for professionals in disciplinary actions and in relation to examinations by regulators (eg. ASIC) and liquidators.
Jeremy also has a significant practice advising underwriters in relation to complex coverage disputes relation of Financial Institutions and Director and Officer policies.
Prior to joining Moray & Agnew, Jeremy spent several years working in the London insurance market and through this in-house experience he gained a keen appreciation of the demands faced by insurers’ claims handling personnel. He maintains strong connections with his London market network.
Jeremy also has a close interest in the progression of the industry and seeks to contribute to the development of industry members through his participation on the Victorian committee of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group.
Jeremy’s recent experience includes matters such as:
- Defending complex claims against a broad range of professionals engaged in the construction, financial, health and legal sectors
- Representing professionals and company directors in investigations and inquiries by professional bodies, regulators and IBAC
- Acting for the auditor of a debenture issuer which collapsed owing investors
$600 million. The proceedings included a class action by investors, a Federal Court claim by liquidators and ASIC disciplinary proceedings.
- Acting for excess layer insurers of trustees of a debenture issuer in relation to a $100 million class action by investors
- Acting for underwriters in a $50 million class action against the issuer of warranty products
- Acting for auditors of a financial institution in relation to $25 million claim by creditors following its collapse
- Acting for accountants in a $12 million claim arising from restructuring advice that triggered significant tax liabilities. The defence involved complex issues of causation and loss which resulted in settlement at a significant discount.
- Advising underwriters in relation to a company director accused on insider trading by ASIC
- Acting for insurers and professionals in relation to numerous fraud and embezzlement cases
- Acting in relation to several portfolios of multiple claims arising from systemic failures by financial planners requiring extensive strategic litigation and settlement advice
- Coverage advice to underwriters in relation to class action against a grain aggregator including issues of aggregation and cover for arbitration
- Acting for an architect in relation to an intellectual property claim arising from the alleged misuse of a rivals design for the development of a shopping centre
- Acting for underwriters in relation to a policy dispute with liquidators of an engineering firm relating to the failure of a large piece of sewage infrastructure
- Acting for an engineer in relation to a claim following a dam failure including complex issues of quantum
- Acting for a head building contractor in a multi-million dollar, multi-party claim arising from collapse of a shopping centre wall
- Acting in a multi-million dollar claim against a real estate valuer in relation to a valuation for a substantial retirement village development
- Acting for numerous real estate agents in relation to misleading and deceptive conduct and breach of mandate claims
- Acting for real estate agents in numerous personal injury claims suffered by tenants of properties managed by the agents.
April 27, 2016
Introduction The issue of ‘indirect market based’ causation has been an evolving one, particularly in the context of shareholder class actions.…Continue reading
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group