Area of expertise
- Professional Indemnity
Special Counsel LLB (Hons), BA
phone +61 7 3225 5936
Julia is highly experienced in managing professional indemnity claims, having worked in this area of law continuously since 2004.
She has conducted the defence and resolution of:
- All types of professional indemnity, directors and officers, employment liability and discrimination claims
- Disciplinary proceedings against psychologists, veterinary surgeons, chiropractors and engineers
- Workplace health and safety investigations
- Personal injuries claims under the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002 (Qld), including medical negligence claims (for instance and successfully defended a personal injuries matter from notification to trial: Harrison v The Actors Workshop Australia Pty Ltd ).
- Managed complex, high value, high profile and commercially sensitive litigation
- Advised underwriters with respect to policy construction and interpretation for professional indemnity policies, association liability policies, director and officer policies, councillor and officer policies and employment practices liability policies
- Represented a wide range of insured professionals, corporations and associations including acupuncturists, architects, building and pest inspectors, chiropractors, councillors, engineers, financial planners, agency nurses, midwives, mortgage brokers, onsite building managers, pharmacists, private certifiers, psychologists, real estate agents, safety inspectors, sonographers, travel agents, veterinary surgeons, medical centres, private hospitals, local government authorities and not for profit associations.
Julia’s other specific skills include drafting pleadings, report writing, assessing reserves and loss exposure, taking statements, drafting submissions, representing insureds at compulsory conferences, mediations and in the Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland, Fair Work Australia and Queensland Industrial Relations Commission.
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group