Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Indemnity
- Class Actions
- Insolvency & Reconstruction
Special Counsel LLB, BCom
phone +61 2 9234 4683
Kara specialises in professional indemnity, directors’ and officers’ liability, crime and fidelity claims and has a strong and diverse background in litigation including, in particular class action proceedings.
Kara has considerable experience in the class action space and litigated matters in a wide range of commercial and insurance disputes. Kara has experience in all aspects of litigation in both Federal and State Courts and AFCA and brings a strategic and commercial focus to her matters which has resulted in favourable outcomes for clients. Kara also has considerable experience in policy interpretation and coverage advice for both Australian and international insurers, including complex and high value claims.
Kara has international experience having worked as a foreign qualified lawyer in respect of professional indemnity disputes in a central London firm. Further, in addition to her legal prowess, Kara also has accountancy and auditing qualifications and experience gained prior to commencing her legal career.
Some of her accomplishments include:
- Acting as coverage counsel in a range of disputes in both Federal and State Courts including high value securities class action claims against ASX listed companies and/or their directors, officers and professional advisors, corporate collapses and failed managed investment schemes
- Representing insurers and insured professionals in an extensive range of commercial litigation matters with a focus on professional indemnity matters for accountants, auditors and construction professionals (including claims involving ACP cladding)
- Representing financial advisors in AFCA and providing defence and dispute resolution advice
- International experience acting for international clients in London in relation to small and large professional indemnity claims
- Advising major insurers on indemnity and other policy issues and representing insurers joined to proceedings under the Civil Liability (Third Party Claims Against Insurers) Act 2017 (NSW).
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Society of New South Wales