Area of expertise
- General Insurance
- Health Law
- Professional Indemnity
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Government (Liability Claims)
Partner LLB, BA, Fellowship – ANZIIF
phone +61 2 6210 4218
Lara is a partner in our Canberra office. She has been practising as a litigator for insurers and self-insurers for over 20 years.
Lara has extensive experience in public liability, professional indemnity, product liability and general insurance litigation.
She acts for a wide range of health care professionals and practitioners and has extensive experience in managing coronial inquests, medical negligence claims and health care complaints.
She also represents other non-medical professionals in civil litigation and coronial inquests, including building and construction claims, and claims against community and volunteer organisations.
Insurance clients include Australia’s major insurers, government agencies, underwriting agencies, insurance brokers and self-insurers.
Lara is a qualified Certified Insurance Professional with the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance and was admitted as a Fellow in 2007.
- Graham Barclay Oysters v Ryan – High Court class action by consumers of oysters contaminated with the hepatitis A virus. Significant case on the law of negligence, misfeasance, nonfeasance and duty of care.
- Mawlodi v State Rail Authority of NSW – High Court case involving the law of negligence, duty of care, compensation to relatives and ‘obviousness of danger’
- Owners Strata Plan 156 ats Gray – NSW Court of Appeal case involving assessment of damages by reference to a ‘most extreme case’ under the Civil Liability Act (NSW)
- Brierley v Proprietors Strata Plan 38936 – NSW Supreme Court case involving an accident in which the plaintiff, on holiday from the UK, was injured and rendered a paraplegic
- Dalamangas v Star City – NSW Supreme Court case involving determination of duty of care when exercising powers of restraint where death occurred while a patron was being restrained
- Doherty v The State of NSW – claim by a former police officer against his employer, the NSW Police Force, seeking damages for post- traumatic stress disorder, alleged to have been caused by his employment.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Society of NSW