Area of expertise
- General Insurance
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Construction & Engineering Risks
- Motor Vehicle Damage
Partner LLB, BEc, Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury
phone +61 2 9234 4511
Lionel commenced his legal career with Moray & Agnew in 1988 and has been a partner of the firm for 12 years.
Lionel enjoys a unsurpassed reputation for excellence in liability and workers compensation. Since 1991 he has worked exclusively in these areas and acts for national and international insurers and public sector risk carriers.
Lionel enjoys the challenge of finding practical and cost effective solutions to complex legal issues. He has extensive knowledge of the structure and depth of the insurance industry, its legal framework and participants.
His recent experience includes:
- Successfully defending and resolving a large class action on behalf of an engineering company and its insurer in the Federal Court involving 35 farmers across Australia making claims in excess of $50 million
- Representing an engineering company and its professional indemnity insurers in respect of claims of negligent project management in the Supreme Court of NSW
- Representing London Underwriters in respect of an indemnity dispute regarding claims for consequential losses in excess of $30 million brought by a construction consortium relating to delays experience in the construction of a major public infrastructure project for the storage of stormwater runoff in the Sydney metropolitan area
- Representing a building and maintenance company and its insurers in respect of claims of negligent maintenance on a mineral refinery in Queensland involving claims for consequential loss in excess of $10 million
- Regularly representing workers compensation insurers in pursuing recovery claims against negligent third parties.
Lionel regularly authors papers and presents seminars and training on current insurance issues to insurers and their insureds.
Lionel has been a Law Society of NSW Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury since 1994.
Uniting Church & Australia Property Trust (NSW) v Miller; Miller v Lithgow City Council  NSW CA 320
October 27, 2015
Facts The plaintiff was an age champion swimmer at the Kinross Wolari School operated by the Uniting Church (‘School’). On 7…Continue reading
Uniting Church in Australia Property Trust (NSW) v Miller; Miller v Lithgow City Council  NSWCA 320
March 21, 2016
As a postscript to our Legal Directions article dated 27 October 2015 – which dealt with the NSW Court of Appeal…Continue reading
January 4, 2018
South West Helicopters Pty Ltd v Stephenson  NSWCA 312 The decision principally concerned the statutory interpretation and operation of the…Continue reading
- Australian Insurance Law Association