Area of expertise
- General Insurance
- Motor Vehicle Law
- Professional Indemnity
- Property & Industrial Special Risk Claims
- Public & Product Liability
Partner BBiomedSc, LLB, DipLegPrac
phone +61 7 3225 5942
Michael’s practice has focussed on insurance law and litigation for more than 12 years. He has extensive experience in insurance and risk management issues with a particular interest in the infrastructure, construction and mining sectors.
Much of his work involves assisting principals, contractors and their insurers in resolving property damage and personal injury claims. In doing so, he often acts for multiple parties and advises on complex insurance and indemnity disputes that arise out of large and small projects alike.
Through his day-to-day practice he has expertise in drafting and interpretation of insurance, indemnity and risk provisions. He also has a special interest in alternative dispute resolution.
Michael works with multiple insurers in undertaking subrogated recovery claims, both large and small, and has done so for more than 10 years.
Michael has significant experience both running and supervising a portfolio of CTP matters including for insurers residing in other states with vehicles operating in Queensland.
For more than a decade, Michael has assisted insurers in relation to personal injury and property damage claims flowing from home and contents policies including minor slip and trip matters, house fires and flood damage claims.
Michael is well regarded by his clients for his commercial and strategic thinking, efficiency and his focus on resolution.
- Acted for multiple joint venture entities on several large road upgrade, construction and rail projects, defending all public liability claims of note arising from those projects and working collaboratively with the various members and the insurer
- Acted for a major insurer in relation to a highly complex series of allegations against a university involving product liability, an attempt to scale production of commercially valuable bioproducts and allegedly negligent laboratory work
- Appointment as an agreed legal expert in the construction industry in relation to a conciliation between a public entity and its private sector partners
- Regularly acts for the State of Queensland and its insurer in matters relating to the Transport Network Rehabilitation Program for flood and natural disaster recovery works
- Acted in both Supreme and District Court trials, including two trials arising from damaged yachts, one with suspected fraud
- Acted in a multi-proceeding matter relating to an aeroplane crash, leading to US and Australian litigation and involving cross-jurisdictional and treaty expertise
- Defended a major energy company in a multimillion dollar claim due to a generator transformer fire
- Acted in relation to an investigation into a fire at a coal mine that resulted in significant business interruption and property damage.
April 1, 2019
The arrival of two new partners – Anthea Karvounaris and Michael Gill – at Moray & Agnew during March 2019 reinforces…Continue reading
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Queensland Law Society