Area of expertise
- Dust & Toxic Tort
- Health Law
- Professional Indemnity
- Public & Product Liability
- Health Law
Special Counsel LLB, BCom
phone +61 8 6317 0411
Nicola has over 25 years experience in law, including over 15 years in insurance law.
Nicola has a wide breadth of experience in professional indemnity, public liability and commercial litigation matters and health law.
Nicola acts on behalf of the Medical Board of Australia. This involves an assessment of and advice on evidence and merits of complaints, investigation of complaints, interviewing witnesses and preparation of witness statements, preparing applications and the conduct of disciplinary proceedings in the State Administrative Tribunal, and of hearings before the Professional Standard Committee.
Her experience includes:
- Defending claims against a broad range of professionals engaged in the construction, engineering, financial and health fields
- Defending personal injury and public liability claims, ranging from small to catastrophic injuries and damage to property
- Advising on, defending and facilitating claims arising from exposure to asbestos resulting in lung cancer, asbestosis and mesothelioma
- Large scale disciplinary matters dealing with issues of inappropriate treatment, incorrect diagnosis, carelessness, improper conduct, failure to meet professional standards
- Attending mediations and pre-trial conferences to resolve matters by agreement
- Obtaining expert evidence and negotiating settlement of disciplinary proceedings including comprehensive sets of conditions and restrictions on practice
- Preparing submissions and proposed conditions on practice and acting as counsel assisting in applications for restoration of name to the register of medical practitioners.
Nicola attends the District Court, Supreme Court, State Administrative Tribunal and the Federal Court on motions and applications including arguing opposed applications and takes on the role of counsel in appropriate circumstances. She is able to provide constructive advice on claims management and the implementation of appropriate strategies to achieve early satisfactory resolution of claims.
Her broad range of experience enables her to identify the essential issues relating to claims, and the material evidence to be obtained in connection with a claim in order to bring it to a resolution. She is also able to draw from expert reports, including medical reports, those aspects of evidence which impact directly on the claim.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Society of Western Australia