Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Indemnity
- Crime / Fidelity
- Policy Interpretation
Partner LLB (Hons)
phone +61 3 8687 7365
Richard specialises in professional indemnity and directors and officers liability claims.
For over 10 years, Richard has successfully handled hundreds of such claims for Australia’s major insurers and the London market. Richard has acted in professional liability matters covering a wide spectrum of areas such as major claims against accountants, financial planners, mortgage brokers, surveyors, real estate agents, conveyancers, solicitors, barristers, insurance brokers, architects, draftsmen, surveyors, engineers and patent attorneys.
His recent experience includes:
- A substantial claim against accountants for work performed in relation to a fundraising prospectus
- A significant claim against an insolvency practitioner concerning the recovery of assets on a winding up
- A claim by investors against financial advisers in relation to a multi million dollar high yield investment
- Acting for insurance brokers in connection with a claim against them by their client insured for breach of duty in arranging professional indemnity cover for its engineering operations
- Acting in a claim against an architect involved in the construction of a large number of residential units from a warehouse shell and in a claim against a design engineer for defects in the construction of a multi story car park
- Acting for excess layer underwriters in a claim against solicitors arising out of a failed property development project and subsequent insolvency of a corporate group.
Richard has been actively involved in risk management seminars for insurance professionals. He has published articles and legal updates, and co-authored the Australian chapter of an international text on ‘Directors and Officers Indemnification – A Global Guide’ (1st and 2nd editions).
Richard has obtained postgraduate insolvency qualifications and is also qualified to practise in England and Wales.
Richard has been ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia reports published annually by the Australia Financial Review since 2018.
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Litigation Lawyers Section of the Law Institute of Victoria