Area of expertise
- Directors & Officers
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Indemnity
- Trustee Liability / Responsible Entity Insurance
Partner LLB, BA
phone +61 2 9234 4574
Shayne has approximately 20 years’ experience advising clients in the insurance industry. Shayne’s main area of practice is insurance litigation with a particular focus on professional indemnity and directors and officers liability insurance. Shayne also conducts general commercial litigation and provides coverage and policy drafting advice to insurers.
Shayne acts in the defence of claims against professionals, financial institutions and corporate clients in a wide variety of areas, including professional negligence and trade practices claims, trustee litigation and property disputes.
He also acts for insurers in indemnity and non-disclosure disputes and acts in the defence of public and product liability claims.
Shayne’s coverage expertise spans all types of liability and financial risk insurance and reinsurance, including professional indemnity, directors and officers liability, financial institutions including bankers blanket bond, crime and fidelity insurance, trustee’s liability and responsible entity insurance. He has extensive experience advising D&O insurers on coverage issues and has acted as coverage counsel in a number of significant securities class actions.
Shayne’s clients include major local insurers as well as a number of American insurers and the London insurance market.
Shayne has been ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia reports published annually by the Australia Financial Review since 2014.
- Acted for one of the directors of the first Compass Airlines in the leading case of Grey v CE Heath concerning non-disclosure and the identification of the parties to a D&O policy
- Successfully acting for the D&O insurer in Porter v Gordian Runoff, resulting in avoiding the policy for fraudulent non-disclosure.
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group