Area of expertise
- Workers Compensation
- Work Injury Damages
- Common Law
Partner Dip Law , Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury, NSW Law Society Specialist Accreditation Committee Examiner
phone +61 2 9234 4504
Stephen commenced his legal career with Moray & Agnew in 1977 and has been a partner of the firm for 30 years.
In more than three decades of practice, he has worked exclusively with all facets of workers compensation. He acts for insurers, self-insured corporations, public sector risk carriers and regulators.
Stephen enjoys an unsurpassed reputation for excellence in workers compensation. Accolades from his clients and the legal industry recognise Stephen as ‘extremely knowledgeable’ and ‘practical with advice’. These qualities have resulted in close relationships with his clients, to the extent that many clients request that Stephen handle their most difficult claims.
Stephen is Law Society of NSW Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury and has been appointed as an examiner of other solicitors seeking accreditation.
Stephen has acted in many leading cases including:
- Westpac Banking Corporation v Tomassian (section 151Z recoveries)
- Sutherland Shire Council v Baltic Insurance (apportionment of liability between insurers pursuant to section 22)
- CSR Limited v Zurich Australian Insurance Limited (double insurance and ‘defect’ under the Motor Accidents Act)
- Makita (Australia) Pty Ltd v Sprowles (expert evidence in ‘slip and fall’ cases).
In 2001, Stephen was appointed to the Law Society of NSW Workers Compensation Taskforce which liaises with WorkCover and the State Government on all workers compensation issues.
He was appointed to the Law Society of NSW Injury Compensation Committee in 2002 and in 2005 to the Workers Compensation Commission User Group. In 2006 he was appointed by the Law Society of NSW as a representative on the WorkCover Legislative Review Committee.
Stephen has been ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia reports published annually by the Australia Financial Review since 2014.
- Law Society of NSW Injury Compensation Committee
- Law Society of NSW Workers Compensation Taskforce
- NSW Workers Compensation Commission User Group
- WorkCover Legislation Review Committee