Cram Fluid Power Pty Ltd v Green  NSWCA 250
August 28, 2015
The decision of the NSW Court of Appeal in Cram Fluid clarifies the operation of the 2012 amendments with respect to claims for further permanent impairment compensation.
The effect of the decision is that:
- Section 66(1A) applies to all claims for permanent impairment compensation unless the claim was made prior to 19 June 2012.
- A worker who made a claim for permanent impairment compensation prior to 19 June 2012 is precluded from bringing a further claim after 19 June 2012.
- A worker who entered into a complying agreement prior to 19 June 2012 can only seek a further award of permanent impairment compensation for a deterioration, pursuant to s66A(3), if the claim for further compensation was made prior to 19 June 2012.
By issue of E-Bulletin No. 61, the Workers Compensation Commission advised that:
- In affected matters not currently listed before Arbitrators, notices will be sent to the parties inviting submissions as to why the matter should proceed.
- All affected matters listed before Arbitrators will be dealt with at the respective listing.
Consistent with the approach adopted after the decision in Goudappel, we anticipate that WorkCover will direct that any settlement prior to the decision in Cram Fluid be honoured (this will clearly be subject to any instructions or advice which now issue from WorkCover).
What action is Required?
Any offers of settlement in claims affected by this decision should immediately be withdrawn.
Matters in the WCC should be determined in accordance with the decision in Cram Fluid
Any further permanent impairment claims which are affected by the decision in Cram Fluid should be determined by issue of a s74 notice relying on the operation of s66(1A) of the 1987 Act, as interpreted in Cram Fluid.
Please speak to one of our expert workers compensation lawyers if you require any advice regarding the application of this decision.
May 30, 2018
Comcare v Starkey  FCAFC 151 Introduction On 21 September 2017, the Full Court of the Federal Court of Australia published…Continue reading
Tales of Byrne’s Demise are Greatly Exaggerated? The Amendment of Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 (Qld)
September 5, 2016
Introduction The Queensland Parliament passed amendments to the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 (Qld) (‘WCRA’) on 31 August 2016. It…Continue reading
May 15, 2018
Asbestos Injuries Compensation Fund Limited as Trustee for the Asbestos Industries Compensation Fund  NSWSC 589 Introduction In this case, Justice…Continue reading