Cram Fluid Power Pty Ltd v Green  NSWCA 250
August 28, 2015
The decision of the NSW Court of Appeal in Cram Fluid clarifies the operation of the 2012 amendments with respect to claims for further permanent impairment compensation.
The effect of the decision is that:
- Section 66(1A) applies to all claims for permanent impairment compensation unless the claim was made prior to 19 June 2012.
- A worker who made a claim for permanent impairment compensation prior to 19 June 2012 is precluded from bringing a further claim after 19 June 2012.
- A worker who entered into a complying agreement prior to 19 June 2012 can only seek a further award of permanent impairment compensation for a deterioration, pursuant to s66A(3), if the claim for further compensation was made prior to 19 June 2012.
By issue of E-Bulletin No. 61, the Workers Compensation Commission advised that:
- In affected matters not currently listed before Arbitrators, notices will be sent to the parties inviting submissions as to why the matter should proceed.
- All affected matters listed before Arbitrators will be dealt with at the respective listing.
Consistent with the approach adopted after the decision in Goudappel, we anticipate that WorkCover will direct that any settlement prior to the decision in Cram Fluid be honoured (this will clearly be subject to any instructions or advice which now issue from WorkCover).
What action is Required?
Any offers of settlement in claims affected by this decision should immediately be withdrawn.
Matters in the WCC should be determined in accordance with the decision in Cram Fluid
Any further permanent impairment claims which are affected by the decision in Cram Fluid should be determined by issue of a s74 notice relying on the operation of s66(1A) of the 1987 Act, as interpreted in Cram Fluid.
Please speak to one of our expert workers compensation lawyers if you require any advice regarding the application of this decision.
December 15, 2016
State of New South Wales v Briggs  NSWCA 344 Ryan Briggs sought work injury damages in respect of a psychological…Continue reading
October 19, 2018
Talifero v Asbestos Injuries Compensation Fund Limited as Trustee for the Asbestos Injuries Compensation Fund NSWCA 227 Introduction In 2005, the…Continue reading
July 30, 2015
Partners Martin Dobson and Daniel Costanzo lead a team of seven who join Moray & Agnew from SRB Legal. The team…Continue reading